FINNISHED! / upcycling ideas
Quick visit in Helsinki
I stopped by in Helsinki in the end of August. The visit was kind of fully booked so I had time to visit only one flea market shop and this is what I found...somewhat granny feeling, or?
I bent the spoons already but I'm not
100 % sure what to do out of them.
Cassette tape pendant
Cassette tape pendant is very simple to make. You just have to find a tape that you like!
For tape pendant you need 1 cm split rings, 2 pliers,a drill, 2-3 cm drill bits, (spray paint) and chain.
HOW TO MAKE A CASSETTE TAPE PENDANT
- Drill 2-3 mm holes to the tape both corners but not quite to the edge so that the chain will hang straight. I make the holes about there where there are the holes already.
- Put in 1 cm split rings. Split rings in order to make it last better.
- Add the chain. I like to use a bit chunky chain to balance the heavy pendant.
Making spray painted tape will take the whole day because you need to let the paint get dry between layers.
IF YOU'D LIKE TO PAINT THE TAPE
- Choose a cassette. It has to be just plastic without any paper.
- Drill the holes and insert the split rings.
- (Already now because you don't want to mess the paint later.)
- Clean the cassette.
- Spray both sides with plastic primer and let dry.
- Spray both sides 5-10 layers of color (depending how thick layers you make). Let dry at least 30 minutes between the layers. (I have used again the rim spray paint with little sparkles, because it gives a nice finish and is most wear resistant.)
- Spray both sides with paint protection spray and let dry.
- Add the chain.
Golden animal brooches
Some time ago one customer of mine asked for golden animal brooches. So here they are. I hope she'll stop by at my table soon so I can show that I finally fulfilled her request.
CRAFTING TIPS FOR GOLDEN ANIMAL BROOCHES
- I used the rim spray paint. It seems it's really hard to find a paint that really sticks. So far, the rim paint with little sparkles in it has been the best. If anyone has better knowledge on this one, please share your secrets with me!
- The paint sticks better to a softer plastic. Though some soft plastics can not take the paint. You'll notice that if the surface gets weird and the paint won't get dry.
- From the other side of the animal I sanded the place for the brooch flat with the grindstone tool of my Dremel. The grindstone tool is meant for metal materials but works well with plastic as well.